Joyland by Stephen King #Audiobook

"I love crime, I love mysteries, and I love ghosts," says Stephen King, who has combined these elements into a wonderful new story. Joyland is a whodunit noir crime novel and a haunting ghost story set in the world of an amusement park.

It tells the story of the summer in which college student Devin Jones comes to work as a 'carny' in small-town North Carolina and has to confront the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child, and the way both will change his life forever. It is also a wonderful coming-of-age novel about friendship, loss, and your first heartbreak. Who dares enter the funhouse of fear? 
Paperback, 283 pages
ISBN  1781162646 (ISBN13: 9781781162644)


 I listened to the audiobook of Joyland  (Simon and Schuster) Which was a pretty fast listen at only 7 1/2 Hours. I think the narrator  Michael Kelly, gave a good representation and voice to the main character.

This is my first Hard Case novel and it was the shelving I saw on Goodreads as "Horror, Thriller and Crime" that I was attracted to the most. I was ready to invest myself into a scary thrill ride with a "carny" element.

Although the writing of course is impressive as it's the master author Stephen King. I was disappointed in the end about the lack of Suspense and investment I had in the story. The main character was very dull and barely carries the story. But I suppose the most disappointing part was that the investigation/crime that should have been the focus in the story really became a background to the coming of age story that plays main stage.

The novel was not at all what I was expecting, or thought that I was getting. It should be considered foremost as "a story of friendship, loss and heartbreak" than a mysterious crime that gets too little focus and a very poor ending that left me wanting.

Comments