Minder (Ganzfield #1) by Kate Kaynak



Sixteen-year-old Maddie Dunn is special, but she needs to figure out how to use her new abilities before somebody else gets hurt. Ganzfield is a secret training facility full of people like her, but it's not exactly a nurturing place.

Every social interaction carries the threat of mind-control.

A stray thought can burn a building to the ground.

And people's nightmares don't always stay in their own heads. But it's still better than New Jersey. Especially once she meets the man of her dreams...

If you click on the cover you'll be taken to the goodreads page in which you can read an excerpt of this book!

The story really had me intrigued from the very first chapter. It made me think of things that I never really thought of but would be pretty obvious to those that could read minds, or talk to each other just using their minds. It pointed out very obvious things, like how often boys think about sex, how you have absolutely
no privacy when everybody can see what your thinking and how quick it is to react to something mentally, but in this situation not being able to take it back. Once your thought is out there, it's there forever.
Here is a story that has a cute, devoted romance aspect to it. I think that the story was first a romance and second a supernatural. What I mean by devoted is that there is no love triangle, and whereas the characters can plainly read each others minds, there is no way of hiding their feelings. There is still misunderstandings, but no real jealousy because although I normally would say you could see straight through their hearts, in this case you could literally read their mind. Trevor and Maddie's relationship was so true and so deep that it was actually something that I enjoyed reading. I am not a big romance fan because in most teen books it's always revolving around insecurities and love triangles that so so emotionally strained that for the most part I find it over the top. In their relationship is just laid out there, it's real, it's true and they fight for it.
When I started the story I was intrigued by their school setting, I thought it was unique twist on mind reading and other powers that the students have. The freedom the students have as well, it was more like a big group home rather than a school.
I was hoping to have more school interactions, activities, but the story became a real full blown romance. It was one that I actually did not mind reading for the above reasons and I am looking forward to continuing on with the series.
I think Maddie is clever and brave and I admired her. I give this book 4 stars.


Comments

  1. Oooh...another good review for this one. Might have to check it out myself one of these days. It is curious to imagine the lack of privacy when one's thoughts are constantly on display...could be quite embarrassing for some folks. *-* Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think?