Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer


When Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemies, she's certain her days are numbered. But then the Searchers make her an offer, one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack and the man she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive

If you are not aware this is the 2nd book in the series, so there is always the risk of spoilers, beware.

My initial thoughts when starting this book was that it was going to rock my world as much as the first book did. It started off with great action and development in the plot and then fell back...a lot.
Most of this book (like 80%) is what I have heard refer to as an "info dump". The majority of the time I see this in the beginning books of a series, but this is my first experience with it being in the 2nd book. I really had a hard time getting through this one as there was not enough action scenes or even really eventful parts to urge me to keep on. I finally reached out to my twitter friends who encouraged me onward and that the end of the book would pick up. They weren't wrong.
I also had a harder time with Calla in this book. She was such a strong leader in the first book and I adored and rooted for her. I was proud of her and sticking by her decisions to help Shay. But in this book she is always doubting herself and depressing. Even when she made some very strong decisions she still felt guilty and wrong about it all. This is just complete personal opinion here but I just did not feel she was the same person we met before.
There is a lot of information about how the Guardian/Keeper/Searcher relationships became what they are. There is a lot of history and characters coming into this story that were not in the first. I can see how this book benefits us for the last book in the series, but I sure wish all the info had been spread out somehow more between the first two books. Just too much bunched into one for my taste, especially coming off of such a high-paced action packed first book.
Several of the characters introduced in the second book I did not like as well, I really wanted to punch some of them in the face. 8D
Overall thoughts are that I am still dying to see what the third installment brings. I absolutely loved the first book (5 stars) I think the pace of the books fell in this one but now I am anticipating some very interesting high action packed scenes to finish off the series in Bloodrose.

I do highly encourage you to pick these up, it was the best wolf/werewolf book I have ever read, and I loved the introduction of the witches and magical powers that some of the other characters can do, especially Adne.

Comments