Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini



 Description from Goodreads.com http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9462795
How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

Very entertaining, fast paced, and twists I never saw coming. I found myself becoming very involved in this story, trying to guess what was going to happen next. I found myself pleasantly surprised on several occasions and was only able to guess 1 thing. From a book that had something new every couple of chapters I was not disappointed. I had no time to get bored with the story line or the characters because I read through it so fast wanting to see what was going to happen next. I really enjoyed the mix of contemporary life and Greek Mythology. I am beginning to think I'm learning more history from reading YA than I ever learned in history class.
Romance: I really liked Lucas and his reaction to their situation. He seemed very intelligent, always one step ahead of Helen, emotionally and physically. As this was all new to her she was standoffish and shy
but I could see a lot of development in her emotionally by the end of the book. The next book I can see being a lot more intense and enjoyable on the romantic issue. (FYI-I am not a huge gushy romance person)
There are a lot of different characters that come into play in this book, while it focuses mainly on Helen, and some on Lucas. We get to know the Delos family and other characters come into play. It's very well written and each character stands on their own and I learned to appreciate each of them.
I will have to read this one over again for a refresher course before the next one is released, but I'm looking forward to it and any new details I may have missed the first time through.

       Author's Website
http://www.josephineangelini.com/
Her website includes a trailer of the book (very awesome)
and a music video :Helen's Song "Where do I belong"
(also very awesome)  



Book Recommendations:
Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

Comments