Awaken By Katie Kacvinsky

AwakenDescription from Goodreads.com
Maddie lives in a world where everything is done on the computer. Whether it’s to go to school or on a date, people don’t venture out of their home. There’s really no need. For the most part, Maddie’s okay with the solitary, digital life—until she meets Justin. Justin likes being with people. He enjoys the physical closeness of face-to-face interactions. People aren’t meant to be alone, he tells her.
Suddenly, Maddie feels something awakening inside her—a feeling that maybe there is a different, better way to live. But with society and her parents telling her otherwise, Maddie is going to have to learn to stand up for herself if she wants to change the path her life is taking.
In this not-so-brave new world, two young people struggle to carve out their own space.
I have to admit the picture on this book threw me off. I was expecting the story inside to maybe be a coming of age contemporary novel. But was pleasantly surprised.
This book takes place in the future, where computers (surprise!) rule our lives. The novel focuses on DS or Digital School and how taking kids out of normal public shools and putting them into home schooled computer classes (all the way through college) has disrupted what we call "community." The whole concept of even having to leave your house has bencome obsolete.
My Opinion: A concept that can 100% be our future and the near future. As a person who spends 8-10 hours a day on the computer myself, how can I not see this as a possible future. I have to say that although I really liked some ideas in the book, it does make you look in at your own life and realize how much we really do depend on the safety of our own homes and how easy it is to stare at a screen all day, lacking physical activities. Katie's writing is amazing, the romance and action was a perfect fit. The writing flowed perfectly and made me not want to stop reading. I loved every minute of this book and completely fell in love with Justin and Maddie and am hoping that this will not be the end of their story. I want to continue reading about them and love that I was able to be introduced to them. I am going to recommend this to everybody, adult and teen, it's got some awesome messages and in a  very fast paced, entertaining way .
Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8665876-awaken   - add it to your to be read list today

Comments

  1. Hey Krista what a great review! I look forward to reading this book. It reminds me of "The World Is Flat" by Thomas L. Friedman. Of course, he's a journalist and his book is nonfiction, but it still has the same message/themes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that book -the world is flat, if it's anything like this one I think it's about time I picked it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think?