Glimpse by Carol Lynch Williams

Glimpse
Description from Goodreads.com
Twelve year old girl Hope's life is turned upside down when her older sister Lizzie becomes an elective mute and is institutionalized after trying to kill herself. Ever since their dad died Hope and Lizzie have relied on each other from a young age. Their mother is a reluctant and unreliable parent at best, who turns tricks to support the family. Throughout the course of this lyrical and heartbreaking narrative readers and Hope discover that the mother is prostituting Lizzie and it’s up to Hope to bring the truth to light to save her sister.

With raw and haunting writing reminiscent of Ellen Hopkins and Elizabeth Scott, Carol Lynch Williams is a promising new YA voice.
In one moment

it is over.
In one moment
it is gone.
The morning grows
thin, grey
and our lives-
how they were-
have vanished.
Our lives have
changed
when I walk in
on Lizzie
my sister
holding a shotgun.
A sad story about 2 sisters and their mother. Their father has died in a motorcycle accident years ago. This is the story of the girls and their mother still trying to cope with the loss years afterwards.
I did find this story interesting, but having it in verse form left me really wanting more. I wanted more descriptions and details. I wish I could have seen inside the mother's head and Lizzie's head. Although the story was interesting, I just wanted more, a fuller story with more details and descriptions and words.

Comments

  1. Hey Krista,
    This book sounds amazing! I need to add it to my goodreads tbr. I think I may have seen this book before, but didn't know what it was about. Glad you posted a summary on it.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think?