Tris and Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison

Description and picture from http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10476860-tris-and-izzie
A modern retelling of the German fairy tale "Tristan and Isolde," Tris and Izzie is about a young witch named Izzie who is dating Mark King, the captain of the basketball team and thinks her life is going swimmingly well. Until -- she makes a love potion for her best friend Brangane and then ends up taking it herself accidentally, and falling in love with Tristan, the new guy at school

Well honestly I was surprised about the 2 star rating this was getting on goodreads. I have to say that from the cover I was expecting to find a more contemporary story inside. I have a tendency to not read the backs of the book, I like to just jump in and be surprised. So I was excited when I saw that there was magic and otherwordly stuff going on. I was not too excited in which the potions were being manipulated, but it is human nature to do so. I did not mind so much the main characters fixation on finding love, or companionship for herself and her best friend, because that is the story of Tristan and Isolde.

I did have some dislikes with how the characters interact with one another and how situations just seem to click into place and make too much sense when things should be more complicated. I wanted to see the characters work a little harder for their relationships instead of just having it work out so nicely for everybody. The ending was a little cheesy, but I suppose it's romantic in it's own way as well. I only liked the relationship between the mother and Izzie for the first couple of chapters, but then it evolved into a more confusing relationship that I felt was lacking. I felt as Izzie grew her mother shrinks back, but as she starts to shrink, Izzie then starts to demand more from her. So it's a back and forth with these characters and the other characters are affected by that.
I gave it 3 stars because I enjoyed the story going around the "romance". There were otherworldly creatures that I thought very imaginative and interesting. They are what really kept me interested to see how it ended. Although I wanted something more from the ending, it was still worth the read. Tris and Izzie

Comments

  1. I've been really anxious to read this one because I love LOVE the Tristan and Isolde story.... but the lukewarm reviews are making me nervous and a little sad. I'm sure I'll still read it, but it will probably just be a library book instead of a purchase.

    Fun to meet you last night! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think?